Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Red/Blue transparent prisms in a highway divider? (my old idea)

I noticed that while I drive, I tend to decrease my speed when I see flashing lights. I usually try not to speed, but this "reflex" works even at low speeds. How about installing groups of red and blue transparent columns as part of the highway divider where the road bends (in dangerous speeding zones)?

In such a set up the headlights of the oncoming traffic would pass through these blue and red columns and create a visible effect of a police car blinker to the cars coming from the opposite direction. No energy source is required. Scared drivers slow down a bit. Works for both traffic directions. Works automagically in the evening or at night, or - in low visibility conditions when people turn on their headlights. The costs of pieces of plastic and their installation are nothing when compared to even a single life saved by decreased speeding on a dangerous curve. Prism shapes can makes such a set up work even for straight sections of the road.

This is one of my older ideas. From now on I'll just mark posts with my old ideas I happened to recall as such in the title field. If you don't see "(my old idea)" in the title - than the idea in that post is fresh! (Well, at least to my brain...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home